[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

herbach and redman

From: 	Steve Z[SMTP:zoidspc-at-erols-dot-com]
Sent: 	Monday, November 24, 1997 10:26 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	herbach and redman

about a year ago, I bought 2 of those 5kv 300ma transformers to
replace a fried 120ma neon xformer. I could pull great arcs on the
benchbut when I hooked them up to my coil the results were disappointing.
I figured that since these transformers require a 10 uf cap connected to
a winding that is neither primary or secondary that they must need to
resonate to get the 5kv. Disconnecting the cap dropped the output a lot.
I guessed that the capacitance of my coil threw the resonance way off and
it just didn't work. I later band sawed the windings off the cores and re
wound my own windings. I got rid of the magnetic shunts too. Now I have 2
transformers that work very well.
	recently I got the idea that maybe someone should try removing
the 10uf cap and apply AC power to this resonating winding and see what
happens. I faintly recall measuring the voltage on this winding in
operation and it was at 400v or so a step up transformer might be needed
here.Use ballasting to be safe.

                                          Steve Z