[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Neons....Paralell or Series?

From: 	Matthew Mills[SMTP:megavolt-at-usa-dot-net]
Reply To: 	megavolt-at-usa-dot-net
Sent: 	Wednesday, November 26, 1997 1:14 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Neons....Paralell or Series?

Hi, I just brought home my old Beacon Radio 15Kv 30mA Neon
transformers.  I have made a jacobs ladder to test them and can get them
to arc over and rise up the ladder to 3inches apart.  I paralleled the
transformers and  made sure I got my neons in phase (or is it out of
phase?) and then the spark would arc out to almost 4 inches.  Now my
questions is ....
I have heard that neons can damage each other if they are paralleled and
one has a lwer voltage output than the other. Mine are both rated the
same but when I got them I was told that they had dropped some of their
rated output and that was why I could have them. There is a label on one
of them which says 13.2Kv.  Can I remedy this? can I still use them in
parallel in a tesla circuit?

Also, can I series link two neons or does this put 30kv through each
winding and kill them?

Please help,

Matt.