[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: wiring 2 neons?

From: 	Adam[SMTP:absmith-at-tiac-dot-net]
Sent: 	Thursday, November 27, 1997 1:19 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: wiring 2 neons?

>Hi all,
>now that I have built my first coil I'm looking to add more power ar,ar.
>I have made a bigger salt water cap and now looking to hook up my spare
>15kv 30ma trans. I read on gweaver webb page on wiring them in parrallel
>that leaving a1/4 air gap between the hv leads on both sides of the trans.
>that it SHOULD'NT spark across the gap,if it does, to wire the 120 leads
>in reverse on 1 trans, I have tried many wiring variations and the best
>I can get is for 1 hv side to spark Wiring both the 120ac the same on both
>trans, results in a spark on both hv leads. Wiring either one the opposite
>results in only 1 side to spark. Both ground leads from the trans are
>connected to the ground on the powersupply.

This doesn't sound too unusual.  There is a good chance that the two
transformers now have differing ideas about what 15kV should be.  I've
seen this before, and I try to match up my transformers before running
them in parallel, to avoid unecessary losses of power.  I have 4 neons in
parallel now, but they are all the same brand (Transco) and even from the
same Dec 1990 lot, and they match up perfectly.

Assuming your transformers are both working correctly and have no shorted
turns, which is not an assumption I could comfortably make, things could
still be unbalanced due only to the difference in brands.  I've measured
voltage and current output from a few neons, and not all readings match
the nameplate ratings due to shorts, loose tolerances in the design, etc..

-Adam

Adam Smith
absmith-at-tiac-dot-net
Epoch, Inc. Digital Music Project