[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Test Cap, dry/oil

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Saturday, November 29, 1997 12:17 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Test Cap, dry/oil

On Thursday, November 27, 1997 10:16 PM gweaver
[SMTP:gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net] wrote;

> ... I have been thinking about making a dry poly rolled cap for a small
> portable desk top TC and did this test to see the results of a dry cap
> on the TC. The oil makes a big inprovement in the discharge sparks.
> The discharge sparks did not get any longer but the power output appears
> to be about double.  Much thicker and hotter sparks.

This is what everyone was teling you would happen ie. the oil decreases
coronal leakage from the capacitor thus more power is going to your Tesla
coil. If you are unshakeably intent on masking a dry polyethylene
capacitor, you may be interested in an idea I had for such many moons ago.
My idea was to build the capacitor not only out of the square sheets of
polyethylene and the aluminum with it's tabs but to add a die cut piece of
polyethylene that would fill in all the space around the aluminum sheets
and assemble the capacitor in a vacuum box to eliminate any air and when
done to gradually heat the capacitor while compressing it in an improvised
press. The result would be that all the polyethylene would be bonded
together around the aluminum plates. I personaly found this to be too much
work and just went on to oil immersed polyethylene caps.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/