[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Thumbtack

From: 	ghunter-at-mail.enterprise-dot-net[SMTP:ghunter-at-mail.enterprise-dot-net]
Sent: 	Saturday, November 29, 1997 2:11 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Thumbtack

Hi All,

I did sime more tinkering with my 4.5" x 23" "bargain basement" Tesla
coil.  My latest and best top terminal is an 8" dia plastic ball
covered with foil.  The biggest sparks I can get to an ungrounded
metalic object are about 12".  Oddly enough, I get many streamers
terminating in mid-air which are a little longer, perhaps 14".
Tonight I put a thumbtack on top of the sphere to cause a breakout
point (although I get plenty of breakout without it).  With the
thumbtack in place, breakout from the rest of the sphere was nearly
absent, but sparks from the thumbtack reached out to at least 16",
and perhaps a bit more.  The longer sparks were also thicker & more
intense.  I've found a cheap way to get longer sparks from my crude
little coil.  I'm not done with top hats yet.

Having big fun with a little coil in dreary East Anglia,

Greg