[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Florescent Foolishness

From: 	Jim Lux[SMTP:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent: 	Saturday, November 29, 1997 2:15 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Florescent Foolishness

> Interesting. I do know that objects in the way can distort the
> field. Perhaps the metal end cap and internal electrodes are
> influencing the light . Can you get the dark spot to be anywhere
> other than near the end?

here is an idea, albeit a bit hazardous in fabrication. Take the
fluorescent tube, carefully open it up at the fill, remove the metal parts,
pump it down again, leaving a few drops of mercury inside, and seal it up.
Actually, considering that mercury also emits in the visible, you might be
able to take a long glass tube, without the phosphor, put a drop of mercury
in it, pump it down, and use it as a detector.

Or, another idea for field mapping. Get a neon sign place to seal you a
long tube with low pressure neon in it and no electrodes.

How about an insulating wand with a whole bunch of neon bulbs (NE-2, type)
attached along the length. Clip the wire leads off, so you've basically got
a bunch of neon capsules. I've done this one in a microwave oven to map the
field.

Just wild ideas, but might work?