[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: how to spin metal

From: 	Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz[SMTP:acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br]
Sent: 	Saturday, November 29, 1997 11:51 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: how to spin metal

DR.RESONANCE wrote:

> Unless you are a true glutton for self punishment --- don't try your own
> spinning.  It makes about as much sense as trying to build your own tires
> for your car.  Experience speaks here -- we picked up a spinning machine
> and spent nearly 7 months perfecting the technique --- and it's far from
> perfect at this time.

Of course, the technique requires the proper tools and techniques, and this
is what I am searching.
I didn't find a book about spinning techniques yet, but found this interesting
document in the WWW:
http://cdr.stanford.edu/DD/PEARL/Documents/spinning.html
A good starting point. There are also many companies that build spun parts
with pages in the WWW, some with illustrative pictures and texts.
I will in the near future make some experiments with my lathe.
Some practical comments about your experience making toroids would be
interesting to the list, I think, and can make other persons think about
solutions to the problems that you may have.

> Makes caps isn't easy either but its childs play compared to spinning,
> sanding, grinding, and welding to make an acceptable toroid.

I certainly agree...

--
Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
mailto:acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br