[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer Protection?

From: 	D.C. Cox[SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent: 	Monday, December 01, 1997 3:56 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Transformer Protection?

to: Alfred & Jim

The intended use of an automobile ignition coil is to fire a spark across a
gap of .040 inches or less.  Firing across a 1/2 to 1 inch airgap is quite
another matter for the coil.  Many coils produce higher than standard
potentials as they have to fire under high cylinder pressures,
never-the-less, producing a longer arc with the coil will require some
protection.  We made several such systems back in the late 60's and the
coils didn't last too long without some protection from spikes.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net