[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sonderman's continuing saga

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 19:48:20 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Sonderman's continuing saga

Ed,
     I suppose you have done this already and you can flame me if I
am stating the obvious but there is one thing that might account for
all this (did I hear a bell ring?).......

> From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Sonderman's continuing saga
>
> I was looking at my coil tonight when I was remounting the secondary and
> spotted something I thought I would ask about.  The bottom of the secondary
> is grounded by the use of a brass bolt.  There is a lug mounted on the lower
> end of the secondary wire and that is connected to this brass bolt that goes
> down through the plastic base on the coil, through the plastic spacer discs
> that adjust the coupling and through the plywood base (top) on the roll
> around cart.  The bottom of that brass bolt is connected to a 4.0" wide piece
> of 12 oz copper that travels under the primary and down the side of the cart
> and connects to the copper ground plane.
>
> This 4.0" wide copper flashing is maybe only 4" under the primary (which is a
> 30 degree saucer design) and travels from just across center all the way
> under one side.  I don't remember if this construction coincided with the
> onset of these problems.  Is it possible that this is loading the primary
> enough to cause all of my current problems??  I think I should remove this
> and replace it with heavy wire coming up more directly from the bottom.
>
> Comments??

If your secondary is OK, one thing that might have been altered quite
drastically in the rewiring process is your tune. I can't think of a
single other reason why your system is performing so poorly. Unless
you have formed a shorted turn in close proximity with the primary,
the strap shouldn't affect the system noticeably.

Malcolm