[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

efficiency of spark gaps vs tubes

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 08:57:18 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: efficiency of spark gaps vs tubes

Geoff Schecht made a comment to the effect that tubes were more efficient
than spark gaps.  I made the same comment to James Corum and he pointed out
that really wasn't the case.  With a Class C tube amplifier, the best
practical efficiency is around 65-70%, that is, the switch (i.e. the tube)
is dissipating 30% of the DC input power.  In a spark gap, the switch is of
very low resistance, and dissipates very little power, and with a low duty
cycle to boot. For a short gap in air, the voltage drop is going to be
around 50 volts, so on a 15 kW coil with the primary at 15 kV, you are only
dissipating, at most, 50 Watts in the gap. This is 99+% efficiency. I
suspect that the inefficiency in a typical tesla coil (i.e. Power out/Power
in)( considering that the arcs and corona is desirable power out) is due to
the loss resistance of the windings (pri and secondary) (i.e. you have a
finite Q) and some heating of the primary tank cap.

> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: And what of the FCC?
> Date: Thursday, October 02, 1997 8:44 PM