[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: R.I.P. one 14kV pole pig!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 13:37:51 +0000
From: Greg Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: R.I.P. one 14kV pole pig!

Charles Brush wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Well it appears that I have done the unthinkable and blown a pole pig with
> my little coil.
[snip]
> So has this ever happened to anyone else here?  Yes this pig should have
> had a safety gap and should not have been subjected to such abuse, but
> should it have failed?

I destroyed a pig in a similiar fashion, and it wasn't even connected
to any circuit!!! In the pics of the 130kW prototype coil tests on Chip's
web page, there is a shot of a power arc hitting the rear fence.
That arc somehow managed to reach over and touch one of the top insulators
on a pig that was stored further down the fence.  The 'touched' insulator
was shattered at its neck, where it met the lid!
After the test I had thought that someone had accidentally knocked it off,
until I reviewed the video, and witnessed the misdeed.

-GL