[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

71" & 76" sparks

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 19:33:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: gweaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 71" & 76" sparks

I have been working very slowly on a 10" coil for several months.  I made
the secondary coil about 2 months ago.  I finished the primary coil last
week.  Today I decided to test the 2 coil to see how they work.  I used my
existing variable speed vacuum spark gap with 8 gaps .025 each.  The primary
circuit capacitance is .02 uf.  The toroid is 4 elbows to make 10" x 27"
donut shape.

The output sparks from the 10" coil are shorter than the output sparks from
my 6" coil.  I made several adjustments to get maximum spark output.  With
3360 watts of power I get 71" sparks from the 10" coil and 76" sparks from
the 6" coil.  I increased the power to 3840, 4320, 4800, 5280, and 12,000.
watts and found the output spark length would not increase.  The sparks did
get thicher and hotter each time I increased the power.  As the power
increased the sound of the output sparks changed to a higher frequency
frying sound.

The 10" secondary is 32" tall wound with #20 wire.  The primary is flat
wound .250 copper with .250 spacing.  2" spacing between coils.  14 turns
and taps at turn 13.

The 6" secondary is 23" tall wound with #24 wire.  The primary is flat wound
.250 copper with .250 spacing.  2" spacing between coils.

Looks like I need to make some improvements.  I have been planning to build
a rotary, another spark gap and another .02 uf capacitor.

I took lots of pictures on the coil running and will post them in a few days.

Gary Weaver