[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Magnifiers revisited

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 15:04:26 -0400
From: Thomas McGahee <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Magnifiers revisited

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Magnifiers revisited
> Date: Tuesday, October 07, 1997 1:47 PM

Dr. Resonance,
You didn't mention it anywhere in your circuit description, but I am
sure that *something* in the system is directly attached to a good RF
ground! Otherwise this arrangement is an accident waiting to happen.
I just don't want a lot of coilers running out to their garage and
throwing this configuration together only to discover that they have
nice arcs leaping from various components of their TC system to the
nearest available ground.

The setup you mention appears to be a variation on the Oudin coil,
which is characterized by the electrical connection between the
driving system and the driven resonator (no separate RF ground).

I was looking at a couple of old photographs of Tesla running a demo
of one of his coils. From the faint corona pattern visible in the
photo it appears that he was driving this particular setup with a
primary/secondary that was a large flat spiral wound ribbon coil that
was mounted vertically. The "primary" section appears to be the outer
few turns, which appear dark in the photo, and the inner set of turns
are the secondary... the ones that show corona. The base of the extra
coil is attached to the center of the spiral primary/secondary coil.
Thus this old photo shows a slight variation on the scheme you
outlined above. In one photo the extra coil is horizontal, and in the
other it is vertical.

Thanks for the post!

Fr. Tom McGahee