[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Proposed DC Drive

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 97 03:54:51 UT
From: Larry Robertson <LWRobertson-at-classic.msn-dot-com>
To: Tesla Builders <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Proposed DC Drive

--  Snip ---

>Interesting idea!  My only concerns would be:

>Can the storage cap handle the high RF currents?  It must,
>since adding a decoupling cap to it would defeat the whole
>purpose of the storage cap.

>The RF filter will have to be heavy duty.

>Also, the gap doesn't have to reverse the polarity to
>achieve the same effect.  The energy per pulse is the same,
>whether you run the resonance caps at +15 or -15kV.

>-GL

That diagram is alot clearer if you draw it on paper.

I think at the instant the gaps fire, the primary coil will see
30 kV - the 15kV in the resonance cap, added to the 15 kV in
the storage cap. The voltage in the storage cap wouldn't
change much per pulse since it's capacitance is 100 times bigger.
The voltage in the resonance cap, however, would change polarity,
from +15kV to -15kV without ever stopping at zero.

I haven't the foggiest clue how dwell time and resonant rise
will change the picture, but we should have a working model
later this month to put all these theories to the test.

If I'm not missing something vital - always a possibility - doubling
the voltage to the primary ought to quadruple the energy input.
E=1/2 C(V squared) I seem to recall.

Anyhow I guess we are staggering around in unknown, but not
unknowable territory.

LR