[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: neon protection

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 14:00:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: neon protection

<< Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 22:19:07 -0400
 From: Someone <fox-at-netunlimited-dot-net>
 To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

 i recently destroyed my first transformer and am looking for a way to
 protect it. ive seen protection circuits but they all seem a little
 vague. i dont have any accurate measuring devices so i cant make my own
 capacitors and chokes if they need to be precise.
 someone once told me that a flourescent tube ballast was just a big
 choke... could 2 of these on the hv terminals be used to keep it from
 burning out?

 thanks

Someone,

I use resistors in series with the high voltage feeds on my 3" dia coil,
using 12 kv neon sign transformers.  No chokes or filter caps.  Have never
had a problem with this set up.  I don't have the values here but can check
if you like.

Ed Sonderman