[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Sale: New neon transformers

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 14:11:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Sale: New neon transformers

   All,

    I made a bulk purchase of new Jefferson/Magnetek neon
    transformers and I am making these available to TC builders at a
    fraction of the usual new price.  Shipping (from NJ) is additional.

    They range in output voltage from 5kV to 15kV.  They have 277volt
    primaries so a step-up variac or step-up transformer is required to
    run them from 120V or 240V.  As a test, I installed a 12kV,30ma,
    277V primary neon tranny, along with a step-up transformer, onto
    my 42" spark Tesla coil, and the spark length decreased by 2"
    compared, with normal operation using a 12kV,30ma, 120V input
    tranny.  This seems to me like a minimal loss going through the
    extra step-up transformer.  In this test I applied the same voltage
    (around 120V) that I usually apply to the 12kV,30ma, 120V input
    tranny.  When used in a TC giving shorter sparks of let's say 18",
    the decrease in spark length would be less, perhaps 1".

    I am also selling (4) of these new step-up transformers (which are
    actually step-down trannies), but can be wired in reverse for step-up
    results.  These transformers accept a 120V or 240V input, and
    provide a 254, 266, or 277V output, and are rated at .75kVA
    (GE brand).  Input and output connections are wire leads, wiring
    diagram is included.

    Neon trannies available, 277V primaries:
          QTY     kV      mA        PRICE $ (ea)
             1       15       30               32
             1       12       30               27
             2       7.5      30               22
             1       7.5      60               30
             4        5        30               20 (secondary insulated, not
                                                              midpoint
ground)
             4  step-up transformers    12

      neon tranny,  120V primary:
             1        6        60               35

    The neon transformers are of the standard style with an insulator
    at both ends.

    If interested, please e-mail me directly at   <  FutureT-at-aol-dot-com  >
    and include your state and zip code if you'd like me to calculate
    shipping costs.

    Thank you,
    John Freau