[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Magnifiers revisited

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 07:44:07 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Magnifiers revisited

Hi John,
          I agree with what you say about the driver doing a matching
job to the resonator base....

> From: FutureT <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Magnifiers revisited

> << Hi John, All,
> >      Could you try the same size magnifier driver form
> > with say #18 gauge magnet wire instead of the #28 and
> > observe the quenching and spark length?  What I am curious
> > about is whether the driver acts as an impedance matching
> > network between the extra coil and driver primary.  Could
> > there be an optimum surge impedance for the driver secondary
> > that would provide the best energy transfer and quenching
> > for a given primary and extra coil?
>                           Barry
>   >>
> Barry, All,
>
> I do think that the driver serves an an impedance-match device,
> but I don't think it's all that critical, and IMO I don't think the #18
> wire would make much difference in either quenching or spark-
> length.  But to test the idea, I'd have to build a larger primary and
> secondary.  Or I'd have to use multiple layers of #28 wire to equal
> #18 wire.  In previous work, using  a different magnifier, I used #18
> wire and also saw about the same reduction in spark-length in
> the magnifier as compared with the classic TC arrangement while
> obtaining about 40" sparks.
>
> John Freau

Unfortunately, it is only going to match under a single loading
condition. As the output load increases, Zbase of the resonator rises.
Measurement by others suggests that 100 ohms is a reasonable Zbase
value with no spark loading. I guess the question is: what exactly
are we trying to match to what and under what loading conditions?
Primary spark to secondary spark? Zsurge of the primary to Zbase and
what loading conditions should we be aiming at - non-spark or spark?

Malcolm