[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

variac rewind

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 08:08:21 PDT
From: Mad Coiler <tesla_coiler-at-hotmail-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: variac rewind

List,

One of my friends just got a hold of a reletively new looking but burnt
out 'Light dimmer' from a school. Several windings on one end were all
melted, and there were arc marks where the contact touched the winding.
This contact wasnt making good conection. Anyways, it is a 50A unit,
wound with #12 wire. I have two lbs of #13 enamel mag wire. Would the
#13 wire be OK so long as it isnt run for long periods at high current
levels? That is provided that the thing works at all. If I remember
correctly the name plate says 50A / 8kVA. The next coil that I might use
this variac on will be using probably three 12kV 60mA NST's. This
shouldnt be near the current limit of the variac anyways. But then again
with resonant charging I have blown a 15A breaker with a single 15kV
60mA neon. (not neccesarily a good thing!)

Any insight appreciated,
Mad Coiler