[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Confused about Magnifiers

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 16:48:43 -0400
From: Thomas McGahee <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Confused about Magnifiers

----------

pppppppppppppppppp--------cap------|-------|
|--------------------|-------|
>                               ground
>
> cc = extra coil
> ss = secondary coil
> pppppppppp = primary coil
>
> Is this right?

YES! There is also the unidrive version that uses two IDENTICAL
capacitors. These MUST BOTH be manually discharged after use!!!

pppppppppppppppppp--------cap------|-------|
|-----------cap------|-------|

pppppppppppppppppp-------cap------|-------|
|--------------------|-------|
>                               ground
>
> ~~~~~~ = discharge sparks
>
> Or is this a magnifier?

No, it is a form of twin coil that uses free resonance for the cc
coil. Also, I think that the base of cc is usually tied to the base
of ss, NOT to the primary. In some cases the connection to RF ground
can be removed entirely (though I think this is somwehat dangerous).

> Gary Weaver

Gary,
The key to making a good magnifier is making sure that the
primary/secondary and extra coil are all operating at the same
frequency. The primary/secondary are actually a DRIVER circuit for
the extra coil. It is my firm belief that the base of the secondary
in a standard Tesla coil is in fact acting as the driver for the rest
of the secondary. The reason why a magnifier is capable of higher
voltages than the standard TC is that the extra coil is NOT
magnetically coupled to the rest of the system. This allows it to
experience extremely wide voltage swings. The inductance of the extra
coil should be much larger than the inductance of the secondary coil
to achieve voltage "magnification".

Let's use a mechanical analogy as an example: Consider the driver
part to be an oscillatory member capable of great power, but limited
to only one inch of swing. Now couple this oscillatory member to a
bungee cord that has a weight attached at one end. When the
oscillatory member is in resonance and imparting motion to one end of
the bungee cord, the weight at the other end of the bungee cord will
cause the bungee cord to expand and contract. With the proper choice
of weight and bungee cord it would be possible to get the weight
moving up and down several feet, even though the oscillatory DRIVER
only moves an inch. Note that everything must be matched for the
effects to be great. The oscillatory member needs to be fairly
"stiff", with a reasonable swing and good power available. The
ability of the bungee cord to stretch will affect the length of the
maximum swing on the output. The weight is necessary, because the
moving force has to act against something. BTW the weight at the end
of the bungee cord corresponds to the topload on the extra coil. If
all the systems are not in resonance, then the output magnitude will
not reach the maximum possible. All analogies limp, of course, but
hopefully the mental image used will help some to visualize something
of what the process is like.

Hope this helps.
Fr. Tom McGahee