[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: "Draining Energy" and Location of HV Supply Parts

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 17:08:55 -0500
From: Chuck Curran <ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: "Draining Energy" and Location of HV Supply Parts

Hello Ted:

For what it's worth, I've built two systems with the pulse caps and the
rotary and stationary gaps directly under the primary.  Since I use a pole
pig it's not really practical to try and fit that puppy under there too!  I
have about 8-9" from the primary to the top of any of the components
metioned with no problems discovered to date.
I really decided to do this after seeing several photo's and video tapes of
systems in operation with the spark gaps and caps set off to the side of the
primary/secondary structure.  What caught my eye was the fact that setting
these items off to the side made a wonderful target for the spark--these
items did seem to take lots of hits.  If the parts are located under the
primary and a strike rail is also employed, I believe you have a lower risk
of damaged components--so far, it has worked well for me.  Another advantage
of placing the gaps under the primary is that a convient structure is then
available to enclose the spark gap so that no one is staring at it which is
an intense enough light source so that eye damage is a real possibility.
One more thought, putting these items under the primary allows you to keep
your connections short.  If you are lugging these parts around and
connecting and disconnecting things, your system tune could be perfect one
time and off the next.  I vote for components under the primary, with proper
spacing.

Chuck