[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why a toroid?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 10:30:27 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Why a toroid?

Hi John,

> From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
> To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Re: Why a toroid?
>
> At 03:56 AM 10/13/97 +0000, you wrote:

Cap voltage was the same near as. The gap setting never changed. I
don't think there was any great secret. I was interested to see how
such a low break rate could still influence spark length though.

>   Note that a controlled spark measurement avoids these problems. However,
> the method cannot be used with one shot TC systems unless you have a method
> of measuring the watts input time per spark.

Now that is dead easy. It is E x BPS - in short, E for 1BPS which in
this case was 2.8J or 2.8W.
  However, a bit of redefining as to what constitutes single shot
would seem to be in order. BTW, that was attached length to a ground
rod. Re air streamers, they went from 1 leaving the terminal per shot
at 1-odd BPS to 3 - 4 or so at several BPS. Length of these never
really improved. I can only account for this by ion persistence
around the terminal.

>   I am always interested in hearing about your research because you are
> doing some interesting work.

Thank you. BTW, spark quality looks very good. Fat and blue. I can't
wait to run it repetitive when the primary is redone. FYI, Fr is
around 170kHz and Xp was around 40 Ohms with a 25nF cap. I'm trying
several things based on the neons I just aquired - firstly attaing
50Hz resonance with one with a 12.5nF cap, 100Hz resonance same cap
but two transformers, and 50Hz resonance with two transformers and
25nF.

Malcolm