[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 500W Tube Coil Takes Off!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 15:46:43 -0400
From: Thomas McGahee <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Cc: jparisse-at-ddlabs-dot-com
Subject: Re: 500W Tube Coil Takes Off!

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: 500W Tube Coil Takes Off!
> Date: Wednesday, October 15, 1997 1:16 PM

Jeff,
Here's what you need as the filter:

                ===========
>-----------*---CCCCCCCCCCC----*-------->
            |                  |
          -----              -----
          -----              -----
            |                  |
>-----------*------------------*-------->

That SECOND capacitor is *VERY* important.
The first capacitor represents your existing power supply capacitor. Hmmmm. I
am making the assumption that you are using a rectified power supply. Or are
you using the tubes in a self-rectification mode? If so, things work somewhat
differently from that shown. But I'll continue with the assumption that you are
using some form of rectification first, before the first cap.

The CCCCCC represents the filter choke. The second cap is very important, as it
becomes the localized source of electrons (current) for the remainder of the
circuit. Value of this cap can be equal to the first, and oftentimes smaller by
half. You will get much better results if the original AC is full wave
rectified instead of just half wave rectified. That will make the ripple
frequency double, and means that any given choke/cap combination will be twice
as effective.

**********
If using self rectification, the above method will also help, but not as much.
The reason is that in a self rectification mode the tube is acting like the
diode, and so the circuit now approximates to this:

                ===========
>-----------*---CCCCCCCCCCC----*--------|
 AC         |                  |        | TUBE
          -----              -----      V Anode
          -----              -----     ===
 GND        |                  |        | Cathode
>-----------*------------------*--------|

Note that this arrangement has almost 100% AC on the first cap! That is because
it is directly connected to the transformer, and the tube that acts as a
rectifier is AFTER the choke. Not a very satisfactory arrangement!!

Now compare that with this:

   Diode        ===========
>---->|-----*---CCCCCCCCCCC----*--------|
 AC      DC |                  |        | TUBE
          -----              -----      V Anode
 GND        |                  |        | Cathode

In the last arrangement the first cap sees a fluctuating DC, and the second cap
sees more DC level and less AC ripple. The use of the diode removes the source
of one part of the problem, and then the second capacitor removes most of the
remaining problem (which is that the choke refuses to supply current in large
chunks. But the second cap DOES).

Hope this helps.
Fr. Tom McGahee