[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rubber toroids

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 16:26:35 -0500
From: Geoff Schecht <geoffs-at-onr-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Rubber toroids

> >Hello there!
> >

> >Thanks for such an informative post!  I am glad that such things are
> >possible.
> >
> >Is Aquadag something you purchase or something you make?  If you make
it,
> >what's

I believe that you can get AquaDag from GC Electronics. 'Dag is used to
paint the outside of the PDA's used by the CRT's in TV sets.

> >the recipe?  Can it be done with conductive lampblack (which I just
happen to

> >have...)?

Graphite works a lot better; graphite-based conductive paints are what they
used to use in the electroforming industries as the conductive base coating
when they were plating onto plastics.

> >Also, what's the recipe for this plating solution that you are using?

Vigor COmpany sells various plating solutions through jewelery supply
houses. They also sell the various anodes that you'll need. I bought a
gallon of their nickel plating solution for about $28 a while ago, although
you can make your own up out of nickel sufate and other chemicals (any good
plating book has a lot of formulas).

I believe that it's best to plate nickel or chrome over a copper strike, so
you'll need to get copper plating solution, too.

<Snip>
> >-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> >
> ></bigger>
>

> Hi All,
> I was just wondering if anyone had tried the chrome spray that is
> usually sold in automotive stores.  I was planning to try it when I got
> to that point.  Is it conductive?  It sure would look cool.
> Just another empty thought!

We have some conductive nickel spray paint here at work that's used for EMI
shielding. That might work as a base coat prior to the electroforming
process. I'll guarantee you that any conductive paint will fry right off
when a corona discharges from its surface.

Home plating is kind of a nuisance (and can be dangerous if you're doing
silver since it contains cyanide and can outgas if the pH gets too low).
I'd recommend that you get the process started at home by making your
nonconductive shape conductive with a graphite base and a strike coat of
copper; then just take it to a bumper plating shop and let them do the
heavy buildup work. You'll need a lot of buildup since a thin plate will
probably erode very quickly due to corona discharges.

Geoff