[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Newbie question

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 21:08:09 -0700
From: randy-at-gte-dot-net
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Newbie question

<SUPERSNIP>

> Gosh, here again I find myself professing my ingnorance, for the few who
don't find it readily apparent......here are a couple of nice words to
ponder whilst thinking about such things... "buck" and "boost"....
some xfmrs have a third winding that can help regulate voltage; if you
take apart your golf=-cart charger you will likely find a winding with
a big, fat, capacitor across it.... no other connections. Apparently,
it will either "buck" (oppose) or "boost" (assist) depending... depending
on stuff over my head. I believe they also used a similar scheme on early
color TV's....or maybe that was a variable-permeance thing...I forget...
My points are, might this be of assitance in a switched DC supply, and
could the same principles be applied to a TC of any description;
magnifier, or not, tube, solid-state driver, whatever.

Again, I appreciate the patience you folks have shown me, if I am "full
of it", you wont hurt my feelings by saying so. Indeed, we are here to
learn, and share knowledge....Kindly shoot me down in flames when I have
it coming...no hard feelings, I promise.
Randy Venable