[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: FW: Magnetic quenched gaps

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 19:54:39 +0500
From: "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: FW: Magnetic quenched gaps

On Monday, September 22, 1997 10:51 AM David Huffman
[SMTP:huffman-at-FNAL.GOV] wrote;

> I have a question/problem with magnetic quenching. I can see how the
> magnetic field can divert the arc in the gap and will cause it to
> extinguish sooner then it would without the magnet. During the the
> gap is filled with ions with relatively little movement, the magnetic
> field applies very little force (F = qvB) on the uff you want to
> remove from the gap. It would seem that an air blast would to be very
> large.

Dave, what your not considering is we are dealing with the interaction of
TWO magnetic fields. During one half cycle of the gap breakdown we have a
strong current flowing across the gap with it's own magnetic field, this
field interacts with the quench magnet and in effect we have a motor where
the arc is the armature and it gets pushed out of the gap thus quenching
the arc. The same thing occurs in the opposite direction during the next
half cycle. So you shuld be able to see that it is not only a stronger gap
magnet that will assist the quenching but the stronger the primary or gap
current the better the quenching action. Of course this effect is limited
by the inertia of the arc.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/