[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More newbie questions

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 12:42:10 +0500
From: "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: More newbie questions

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997 16:34:52 -0400 (EDT) Aric
<ceg4760m-at-cs.wright.edu> wrote;

> What is a good source for thick polyethylene sheet for caps?  The thickest
> stuff I can find at the hardware store is 6 mil, and with a 30,000V cap
> calling for around 75-90 mil of dielectric, that is a lot of layers!  The
> stuff I've found is intended for sealing windows during cold weather and
> as a light-duty tarp.  Is there a common application for stuff in the
> 20-40 mil range?  A local plastic supplier wants to charge $0.25/sq. foot
> for 15 mil PE.  This strikes me as being way to pricey.

Aric, it is better to stick with a few layers of the 6 mil. polyethylene
and put several higher value caps in series to get the voltage tolerance
you need. This will yield a more robust design than trying to build a
single cap out of thick polyethelene of the value you need, andit is far
less expensive.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/