[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

MICROWAVE POWER TRANSFORMERS

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 16:03:29 -0400
From: "Alan G. Pope" <agpope-at-phonetech-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: MICROWAVE POWER TRANSFORMERS

For those looking for a gutsy KV plus, power transformer, try the ones from
an old microwave oven.

I stripped down an old J. C. Penny, large size home unit, and found a big
brute that is rated at a 13 amp draw off the 115 V power line, and has a
secondary of maybe 20-22 gage wire. The secondary output is well in excess
of 1 KV (it pegged my meter at 1KV). I'll have to make a high-voltage probe
so I can measure it.

Anyway, the things have got some muscle, and should be useful for a number
of different projects.

A bonus was the two ring magnets that fit around the magnetron. They are
very powerful magnets for their size. OD about 2 to 2 1/2 inches, ID about
7/8 inches. About 1/2 inches thick. Made of ferrite or some rare earth.

You can buy these transformers cheaply at stores that repair microwaves. I
bought two more today for $5 each.

Alan G. Pope

E-mail: "Alan G. Pope" <agpope-at-phonetech-dot-com>