[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

sync motor RPM ???

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 18:17:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: gweaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: sync motor RPM ???

I made a sync motor today using a 1/4 HP electric motor.  I cut 4 flats on
the motor rotor.  The flats are all equal.  The flats are at 90, 180, 270
and 360 deg. The space between the flats are equal to the flats in width.  I
did this in the milling machine so its within a few thousands. The motor is
1725 RPM and has 4 start windings and 4 run windings.  I turned it on and
let it run for 5 hours and it did not over heat.  I checked it to see if it
was running 1800 RPM's but I don't think it is. Fluorscient lights should
blink at 60 HZ and make the shaft appear to be stopped but it doesn't.  I
connected a neon light in parallel with the motor and use the light in the
dark to see if the shaft appeared to be stopped but it isn't.  I put a diode
on the neon so it would blink at 60 Hz and tried again and the shaft still
does not appear to be stopped. The shaft keyway can not be seen even if I
move the neon light all the way around the shaft 360 degrees in the dark.
Any ideas?

Gary Weaver