[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pole pigs in the UK

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 19:39:35 -0400
From: Alan Sharp <100624.504-at-compuserve-dot-com>
To: "INTERNET:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Pole pigs in the UK (fwd)

Stephen,
>> Another alternative is to use two transformers salvaged
> from old micro-waves: secondaries in series, centre earthed
> primaries in anti-parallel. Gives about 4.5kV at 500mA.
        I'm not sure what you mean by "anti-parallel", could you draw a
diagram
of the primaries?<

L----00---- EHT --------
N----00---- Earth

L----00---- Earth
N----00---- EHT --------

Its nothing complicated! Microwave transformers
have one end of the secondary attached to the
transformer core and earth. With two transformers
the secondaries are combined at the earth.
To get the EHT to combine you have to get the
phase right, so swap the connections to one
of the primaries.

This means that neither transformer is seeing
more than its design voltage. Some one on the list
reported that they had used them with the secondaries
floating and used up to 4 in series - under oil I think.
All right if you only want one flash and a bang :)

I'm using one microwave transformer together with
a 5500V 330mA transformer (one off find) to get.
Gave myself a sore head trying to work out the
implications of centre earthing a non symetrical
supply - 2.5KV AC -earth- 5.5KV AC. Works fine
though 2' arc from a non optimal coil.

Have fun,

Alan Sharp (UK)

If nothing else works try reversing the polarity
of the neutron flow!