[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pole pigs in the USA

From: 	Jim Lux[SMTP:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent: 	Thursday, October 23, 1997 2:30 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Pole pigs in the USA

> I talked with my local power company person about obtaining a pole pig
> today.
> Not sure if the look was funny or scary.  He is going to check to see if
he
> can sell me one, or maybe to see if I should be committed.
> Question, do you pig users get yours from the local power company, you
know
> and love, or do you get them from the manufacture, or none of the above?

> Also, can you give me a clue as to the cost for a 5 kva and a 10 kva
unit.
> (240v to 14+kv)
> Thanks.

Here in California, it is essentially impossible to get one surplus from
the utilities (however, the surplus yard is a great source for things like
large porcelain insulators at $0.50 each (priced by the estimated amount of
iron scrap in it)). They have contracts with hazmat recyclers to take all
the transformers away. The risk of PCB contamination, etc. and eventual
legal liability (if you spill it, they are still liable, etc.) makes them
do this.  Several people in the industry suggested that I call a company in
Texas (Sunbelt, I believe it was) where they had used transformers. Of
course, if it is just used (not reman), then it is illegal to ship to CA
(hazmat laws again). But, if you had a friend in TX that could nominally
take delivery etc.

I suspect that remanufactured is the way to go, at least in CA. No legal
hassles, and you know it works.

Of course, if someone happens to have an unused transformer on a pole in
the backyard, etc. Or, if you get one salvage with the proverbial case of
beer when they go out to replace it, etc.  This will only work in rural
areas, though, in the city, they keep very close inventory (PCB liability
again).