[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: console gounding question

From: 	Greg Leyh[SMTP:lod-at-pacbell-dot-net]
Sent: 	Monday, October 27, 1997 6:33 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: console gounding question

bmack wrote:

> Do you run a separate wire to RF ground from the metal
> control console or do you rely on ac ground only at this point?

Whenever possible, I connect the console ground to its own
independent ground connection.  This provides the greatest
operator comfort.  In situations where only one ground tie
point was available, I've had to wear heavy gloves to avoid
the uncomfortable voltage pulses on the console frame.
These pulses are due to the IR drop in the ground, driven by
the 25-30A secondary return currents.

Fortunately, the Navy Shipyard test site for the November run
has many good connections to earth ground.  This allows the
grounding network to be divided into three parts:

RF Ground - the salt-water fire hydrant.  Large diameter pipes
make this the best RF sink available in the area.

AC Power Ground - the rails in the adjacent trainyard.  This
ground needn't be as hefty, as AC fault currents will flow back to
the dist xfmr along the power ground conductor, for the most part.

Console Ground - The underground steam plant.  This system seems
to have pretty good electrical inertia.

-GL