[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sync-TC, latest results

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Monday, October 27, 1997 3:16 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Sync-TC, latest results

Hi John, all,

Sure. First I have to say that the wallplug figure is a lot higher
and it was this discrepancy which made me start wondering about
losses prior to the primary. There is very little leakage inductance
in the transformer but I don't think that's of much account
considering I was using a single static gap (fixed firing voltage).
So here are the specs:

SECONDARY: ~10" diameter
            ~980 turns 0.56mm (copper dia) wire, spacewound with
identical wire as the plumb (then removed). Winding height about 45".
Ls around 45mH, Cs around 19pF. *New* topload around 19pF additional
to Cs. Ther terminal is pretty messy in terms of finish. Diameter is
around 22" and thickness around 16" or so (I haven't got it here at
present so I can't do more than guess). I should note that this
terminal will give different capacitances above different diameter
secondaries.

PRIMARY: ~26" diameter
          3 turns 3/8" copper pipe.
          Height about 3-1/2 inches
          L around 12uH
          Cp = 0.1uF near as.

This was prior to adding the new terminal. With this primary and a
7pF-odd topload (9" sphere about 6" above the secondary), we measured
a maximum (peak) length point to point of 54" on a day when the air
was extremely dry.
   The new primary spec is 4 turns in an extra inch of height,
inductance around 18uH, same cap. The Q was noticeably improved as
seen by the waveform captured on the storage scope.

GAP FIRING Voltage: < 8kV
2 x Fmains = 100Hz  (transformer can't charge cap any faster than
this.

Output was extremely intermittent as outlined in another post but the
discharges were real fierce whn it did go. Definitely a coil for a
sync gap with pretty close electrode presentation. I think you could
do far better behaviour-wise with same energy but a much smaller cap
and much higher primary inductance. Peak discharges around 5 feet.

Malcolm