[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: What items have PCBs?

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Tuesday, October 28, 1997 4:21 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: What items have PCBs?

On Monday, October 27, 1997 1:58 PM Adam Smith
[SMTP:absmith-at-tiac-dot-net] wrote;

> I have read some of the safety pages and warnings on the web about the
> dangers of PCB oils, and I have a couple of unanswered questions:
>
> 1.  Which items have PCB Oil or how do it tell?  I have some capacitors
> from "Glass Mike" and "Plastic Capacitor" which clearly have some kind of
> oil in them, is this PCB oil?  I had one that leaked, and I had it
> disposed of immediately, just to be on the safe side.

The only one I know for sure is Pyrinol. generaly I understand that almost
any transformer oils whos names end in ol should be considered suspect. I
am sure others on the listcan ghive more specific brand name examples.

> 2.  How about that black tar in the Neon transformers.  I unpotted a
> couple a few years back, and now in retrospect I am wondering if perhaps
> that was not such a good idea.  Anybody have any idea what that black
> crud is, or what % of PCBs it may contain?

I have NEVER heard of ANY association of neon sign transfromers and PCBs.
The black tar like material in the neon sign transformers on many other
transformers as well is primarily made of pitch with rosin to harden it and
bees wax along with other waxes to temper (soften) it.

> 3.  Is exposure to PCB oils a long term effect and/or cummulative, like
> that of lead poisoning?  How does exposure to PCB oils compare
> statistically to say, cigarette smoking?  Are there any studies on the
> WWW?

As far as I know the effects of PCB's are accumulative. I wouldn't compare
the effects of PCB's to that of lead. In adults lead except in high doses
does little damage BUT in kids it is another story damaging primarily brain
tissue. Aside from the brain damage lead can be removed from the system
with what is called chealating agents. PCB's on the other hand cause cancer
and damage the liver and kidneys and there is no currently known way to
remove it from ones tissues. I don't know if there is any studies on the
WEB but I would be very surprised if there wasn't, a search through Yahoo
or Alta Vista should come up with a number of articles.

> I want to keep coiling, cancer free, so this information is important to
> me :-)

Adam, I would suggest using common sense. Don't handle unknown oils
(especialy old ones) at all if you can posibly help it and if you must then
use gloves and protective clothing (non-absorbant). Don't breath in the
vapors of unknown oils either, dust masks are no good pipe in the air from
a safe distance away. Remember, no matter how harmfull a substance is, if
it does not contact you and you don't breath it in it can't harm you,
except for radiation sources and that is a topic for an entirely different
post.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/