[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: console gounding question

From: 	Thornton, Russ #CSR2000[SMTP:ThorntoR-at-rc.pafb.af.mil]
Sent: 	Thursday, October 30, 1997 6:36 AM
To: 	'Tesla discussion Group'
Subject: 	RE: console gounding question

George,
Contrary to what we sometimes assume or hope for, the ground below us is
far from homogeneous.  Try this experiment next time you are outside
with your VOM.  Stick each probe in the ground around 4 feet apart.
Unless you are in a very dry area, you will be able to measure a voltage
differential.  Some places can get over 1 volt. If the earth(surface
dirt were a perfect earth ground then you should read an equal potential
or no voltage on the VOM.  That is why salt helps.  I should have a
pretty good ground where my water softener discharges.<g>
I am a EE but I learned this stuff in explosives training in the oil
field.

Russ