[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Quenching Question

From: 	FutureT-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Thursday, September 04, 1997 5:17 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Quenching Question

<< snip> For all this to happen the primary tank circuit must remain
> connected (spark gap not quenched).  Quenching the spark
> gap too soon will prevent generation of primary RF.   On my
> coil the peek in secondary RF comes after 3-4 cycles
> and if sparks are allowed the secondary RF is killed at this
> point.  Any events that occur after we simply don't care
> about, or do we?

> Any comments?
> Julian Green

Julian,

The best time to quench is at the first RF "notch", when all the energy
has been transfered to the secondary.  After the gap fires, the primary
rings down and the sec rings up.  The time this takes depends on
losses and coupling.  Higher losses and tighter k demands a faster
quench.  If quenching occurs AFTER the first notch, some energy will
be transfered back to the primary and will be subjected to more losses
before transfering back to the sec.  There is no danger of quenching too
soon since it's just about impossible to quench before the first notch.
In fact, it is often difficult to quench AT the first notch.

We don't want anything to happen AFTER the first notch, because
this would mean that some energy has transfered BACK from the
sec to the pri...resulting in greater losses.  By quenching at the
first notch, all the energy is trapped in the sec (minus losses) and
efficiency will be greatest.

John Freau