277Volt pri neon trannies
Sent: Monday, September 08, 1997 6:18 AM
Subject: 277Volt pri neon trannies
Occasionally, neon transformers having 277Volt primaries will be found.
These trannies can easily be used by Tesla coilers in a number of ways:
1) Use them directly on 240 volts input. Output will be a little less, but
they will work OK.
2) Use a step up type variac to step up the voltage from 240 volts to
280 volts max. Most 240 volt variacs have this capability.
3) Use a step up type variac to transform 120 volts input to 280 volts
output. Most larger variacs have this capability. But be sure to use
a larger than usual variac because they have to be de-rated somewhat
in this mode of operation.
4) Use a 120V to 240V or 277V step up transformer.
5) Run the tranny directly on 120V, but output will be severely reduced.