[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Quenching

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Tuesday, September 09, 1997 4:11 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Quenching

Hi all,
         Having now rigged up a regulated compressed air line to the
gap of my coil, I decided to check out what happened at various air
flows. It was quite revealing. I suppose the experts have known this
for years but for myself I discovered a concept I call "tuning the
quench". I did some single shot tests at different airflows and
monitored the response on the scope as well as observing the gap.

    With no airflow, the gap was relatively quiet and the discharge
to a ground wire was what it was. With no breakout, the gap quenched
at the fifth and sometimes sixth ringup depending on exact firing
voltage (it was set to where it normally would be).
    Turning on _some_ air, the gap started to produce a soft "pop"
and brightened a little. Generally, quench occurred a ringup earlier
and output discharge increased.
    Turning on more air, the gap brightened some more, started
getting louder and the output discharge was the same or a little
shorter while the scope showed an average of another ringup
disappearing.
    Without going through all the steps, I finally tried the air jet
at full pressure. Now the gap was very loud and bright, output had
sunk to a real low, and I actually achieved quench at the end of the
second ringup with no breakout. It is clear this was a totally useless
setting because while the quench looked excellent on the scope, the
gap was dissipating the bulk of the power. This was borne out by the
abysmally short discharge to the ground wire. BTW, the full air jet
was so violent the spark was considerably displaced from the centre
of the gap electrodes.

    On watching Richard Quick's video I was struck by the brightness
and noise of the gaps with the various quenching systems he was
using and yet it seemed that without that degree of airflow, the
transformer fire in the gap just wouldn't go out. I commented to him
that I thought there was a lot of power being chewed up there. Well
it certainly seems so from this exercise. I now think that the degree
of quench he was having to apply to stop power arcs was hindering the
output of the coil. It seems to me that the way around this is to
choose a bigger cap to load the supply more heavily so the air supply
could be moderated to the point where it served the tuned circuits
best.

    For my coil it looks as if a quite moderate air jet is best for
tuned circuit behaviour. Question is: will it also be best for
stopping transformer arcs in the gap? If more air is required to stop
the arcing, it seems I could do better in matching the primary cap to
the transformer. Be interested in comments anyone else has to make on
this. The reason I mention all this is because I haven't heard of
anyone actually setting the quench conditions for their coils in this
way and it might prove useful for getting more bang for no extra buck
in a number of cases.

Malcolm