[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE- hello everybody (fwd)

From: 	Robert Michaels[SMTP:robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org]
Sent: 	Tuesday, September 09, 1997 5:42 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	RE- hello everybody (fwd)

        Welcome to The List.  We like newcomers/beginners around here.
        Like, a lot  (makes us old-timers feel so superior [ heh...
        heh...heh! ] ).

        Neon transformers are more properly called luminous-tube
        transformers.  They are used to power those types of electric
        signs which are comprised of glass tubing which has been
        bent into a design or lettering.  The tubing glows from
        within when powered by the transformer.  Such signs are
        very commonplace in the U.S., but they are seen in the
        larger cities of Europe as well.  The signs are most
        commonly seen at store-front retail establishments or
        bars.

        There seem to be at least a few Euro subscribers to This
        List -- I'm sure they'll offer to help.  Meanwhile I'd like
        to offer this:

        Do not focus on using "special materials" for a beginning
        coil.  You can do that later.  For now, see what you can
        accomplish with the most commonly-available items you can
        find.  You won't achieve greatness, but you will achieve
        sparks.  As a beginner, that is what is most important.
        (You can make a coil which knocks everyone's socks off some
        other time).

        Far too many beginners concentrate on accumulating "special
        materials", some spending weeks, months, even years doing
        so.  They wind up with an interesting collection of
        materials - but no coil.

               As a possible source of inspiration, consider
               this:  Most of us on This List who have been
               coiling for a while could throw together a semblance
               of an operating coil in the space of a day (or a
               weekend at most) relying only on what we would
               find in Radio Shack; an automotive parts-and-
               accessory store; a  =good=  hardware store.

                                           Always a "beginner" myself
                                           in -- Detroit, USA

                                           Robert Michaels