[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A Puzzle [ coulomb ]

From: 	Richard Wayne Wall[SMTP:rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com]
Sent: 	Wednesday, September 10, 1997 12:40 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: A Puzzle [ coulomb ]

You wrote:

snip

>Futhermore, I'm not a PHD in physics, but to the best of my knowlege
>Cavendish was best known for his gravity experiments-not electrostatic
>measurement. The only connection between the two (as far as I know)
>was the experimental method-namely the torsion balance.
>
>Please enlighten me!
>
>Jim M

Jim,

You are correct.  I have been less than clear.  Cavendish is given
credit for inventing his torsional beam balance and gravity
experiments.  About the same time Charles Coulomb used the torsional
beam balance for his electrostatic experiments.  Both types of torsion
beam experiments measure forces between two bodies.  One measures
gravitational force and the other measures electrostatic (Coulombic)
force.

Thanks for calling this to my attention.

RWW