[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RE- New Coiler

From: 	Robert Michaels[SMTP:robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org]
Sent: 	Wednesday, September 10, 1997 5:43 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	RE- New Coiler

TL>From:  Patrick J. Gustafson[SMTP:gustafpj-at-uwec.edu]

TL>1.   I have a two layer secondary coil with 28 gauge wire close wound
TL>for 21.6" (both layers).   The first layer is at 6" in dia. and the
TL>second layer is at 6.125" in dia.   The calculated resonant freq's are
TL>108.71 kHz and 106.45 kHz respectively, and the calculated inductances
TL>are 91.84 mH and 95.49 mH also respectively.   Now since I layered in
TL>parallel, can I add together the inductance values directly? ( i.e. the
TL>new value would be 187.33 mH)

        Yes - physics-major-person.  Inductances in parallel sum
        arithmetically.

TL>2.   Should I be concerned with the differing resonant freq's when
TL>calculating the needed primary capacitance?

        You don't in fact have differing resonant frequencies.  The
        two coils in parallel have but a single resonant frequency.

        It's a puzzle as to how you  =calculated=  the resonant
        frequencies without first knowing the distributed capacitance.
        Most of us  =measure=  the resonant frequency.  Always a
        good idea since calculations may/may not follow reality
        well.

 [ ... ]
 [ ... ]
 [ ... ]

TL> - Primary capacitor (Calculated to need about .0226 uF.   Anyone have
TL>problems with using mylar for the di-electric?)

        Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, use Mylar (or any other
        polyester) in Tesla service.

        Never!

TL>Some info:

TL>I am a Physic's major, mathematics minor at the University of Wisconsin

        Phwew!  I'm Glad you're not an English major - then I'd have
        been worried.

                In English  -  an apostrophe signifies the possessive
                case.  Plurals are formed by adding an "s" with no
                apostrophe.

                Physics just happens to be a word with an "s" at the
                end.  It's a collective noun which is not  plural,
                or possessive.

                        Same as mathematics, or mechanics

                Hey -- you may have to be able to spell it to pass
                the final exam for graduation -- you never know.

TL>Eau Claire, so I am quite familiar with most of the terminology involved

        Yup, glad.

TL>in Tesla coils.   This is my first Tesla coil project, which I am
TL>building for the Physic's Dept. (and they are funding!!) for

        Damn glad!

TL>Any help greatly appreciated.

        I tried.

                                        Beer-drinker/Pizza-eater
                                        [ it's a double major ]
                                        in --  Detroit, USA

                                        (and able to spell both when
                                         reasonably sober)

                                        Robert Michaels, B.D.P.E

        Pop Quiz:  Under what circumstances should Mylar be used
        --------   in Tesla coils?

        For Extra Credit:  Mylar is a proprietary name (E. I. DuPont)
        ----------------   for what class of polymers?