[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TC Electrosattics Revisited II

From: 	Greg Leyh[SMTP:lod-at-pacbell-dot-net]
Sent: 	Thursday, September 11, 1997 2:14 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: TC Electrosattics Revisited II

Richard Wayne Wall wrote:

> GL wrote:
>
> >Compare the energy stored in a 10 Farad capcitor with 1 coulomb of
> >charge, vs. the energy stored in a 10 Henry inductor with 1 Ampere of
> >current. From the above equations:
> >
> >Ecap = 0.05 Joules.
> >Eind = 5.00 Joules.
>

> I don't understand what the above significance is about.  At first
> blush you seem to provide proof of point for our assertions.

?????
I thought that my counter example was quite clear -- You and R. Hull
claimed that  "One coulomb of electrostatic charge has the potential
for vastly more effective work than one ampere flowing in a circuit."

I provided an example where this is obviously and provably not true.

> Shouldn't both devices store the same energy?

Not necessarily.  Neither charges nor currents _by themselves_ determine
the ability to do work.

-GL