[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RE- caps, spark gap, and

From: 	Dale Hall[SMTP:Dale.Hall-at-trw-dot-com]
Sent: 	Friday, September 12, 1997 5:52 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: RE- caps, spark gap, and

        Reply to:   RE>RE- caps, spark gap, and more

Kevin, Robert and ALL,
 Hi, I'm new on the list and have been reading the TL mail for a couple weeks.
I am a Judge at the CA State & L.A. County Science Fairs (14 years) see:
http://www.usc.edu/CMSI/CalifSF/History/1997/pictures/BouleSr.html

Read the section on Judging Criteria for insight to winning projects at:
http://www.usc.edu/CMSI/CalifSF

I'll consult with any student to help produce a tesla project success at a fair.
I've built Tesla Coils and coached winning Tesla projects.

Construction projects (incl Tesla Coils) in my years of judging have typically done poorly (Students build a model, display it, period - interesting sparks from alot of work, sweat and experimentation, but attention to the scientific method is needed to win).

Calif is a SCIENCE & ENGINEERING Fair, others may not include separate Engr judging criteria.

Proposed engineering projects must "have practical use support - i.e. how does it benefit society. (I'm not aware of any fair that judges solely Engr criteria to the exclusion of Scientific)

Otherwise the project must apply the scientific method:  Propose a Hypothesis and prove/disprove same by experimentation and data with creditable presentation - charts, graphs, orally.  This will move judges in your favor !

Privately email me: dale.hall-at-trw-dot-com and we'll talk

Understanding breeds success (1st, 2nd, 3rd, HM)

Judges come from all back grounds, they want you to do well, but they must be convinced through your efforts and methodology compared to that of your peers. Well conceived/presented projects do well. Judges who are not the brightest may be easily swayed or wowed, where others must be convinced via whats been done & presented.

Yet another Scientist and Engineer