[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 15kV-at-60ma vs. 7.5kV-at-1

From: 	Richard Quick[SMTP:richard.quick-at-slug-dot-org]
Sent: 	Saturday, September 13, 1997 11:54 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: 15kV-at-60ma vs. 7.5kV-at-1

Quoting John Freau;

> Welcome back.

Ha!  I did not think anyone would notice. We'll have to see how
long it will last. Used to think the day should be increased to
30 hours, now 40 or so looks attractive. I won't even start with
the workload sooo...

> I had to adjust the gaps so close that they almost touched,
> maybe .002 in. or so.

Had the same issue, then tried lowering the voltage and
discovered why Tesla invented high speed mercury stream
interrupters.  I got down to about 4800 volts supplied from a
externally ballasted plate transformer before I could no longer
sustain tank circuit switching using a standard rotary gap.

At this point I was able to resume tank circuit operation by
mounting spring steel brushes on the stationary gaps of the
rotary and setting the gap so they actually contacted the moving
electrodes.  Dwell time, molten metal spray, and RSG damage had
me shut things down at this point and the data was useless.  I
was able to get spark discharge however.

I would all but sell my soul for one of Tesla's original mercury
interrupters to play with for one weekend.

Richard Q.

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12