[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New Testing

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Monday, September 15, 1997 12:22 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: New Testing

Hi George,

<snip>
> >I would expect that the moment the gap fires, a pulse would indeed
> >race back from the gap to the transformer. Moreover, I wouldn't
> >expect _any_ type of line to behave much differently. Consider:
> >you are slamming a short circuit across an energized line.
> >    I may, when time permits, remove my filter board from the neon
> >setup and attempt to scope this. I am reluctant to do so however as I
> >am planning to use that transformer for the job I am working on.
> >
> >Malcolm
> ><snip>
> >

> Malcolm,
>
> It hadn't occurred to me that anyone would do this without the
> filter board and safety gaps in place at the base of the TC.
> RFI suppression is best accomplished at the source. I think
> you are right about parallel conductors. They just form a higher
> impedance transmission line with no choke sleeve.

For my money, filter components should be at the primary gap and the
safety gap should right at the transformer terminals and there should
be sufficient damping resistance somewhere between the primary gap
and safety gap. You can so arrange this resistance to provide damping
for all reactive components (line included) by careful design.

Malcolm