[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE- Adhesive for PE

From: 	Robert Michaels[SMTP:robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org]
Sent: 	Monday, September 15, 1997 4:41 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	RE- Adhesive for PE

        There is but  =one=  strong and reliable adhesive for
        polyethylene, and it's called -- polyethylene!

        That is, for a reliable bond, polyethylene must be welded
        using a filler rod (if necessary - and it usually is) of
        polyethylene.

        Since polyethylene chars in air before it's soft enough
        to weld, the welding must be carried out in a stream
        (most usually) or blanket of nitrogen.

        Welding guns for this purpose are sold by high-end plastics
        distributors  (Such as U. S. Plastics).  They are not
        expensive, nor either the filler rod which is available
        most anywhere the guns are sold.  The welding gun is simply
        a handle with a tube fitting for connection to the regulator
        of a nitrogen tank.  The gun also embodies an electrical
        heating element.  As the stream of nitrogen passes thru the
        gun, it is heated to the melting point of polyethylene.
        (In this regard it resembles an electric hair dryer)

        The welding technique is very similar to the acetylene
        flame welding of steel using steel filler rod and is
        not hard to master to the point of achieving passible
        results.

        What you likely wanted was a dime-store chemical adhesive.
        Although several such have been touted from time to time
        none have had any merit.  Sorry - it's that thing called
        reality, again.   (Hey -- people in Hell want ice water).

                                        Sticking with the facts,
                                        in -- Detroit, USA

                                        Robert Michaels