[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE- Re: what's a tesla coil good for

From: 	Greg Leyh[SMTP:lod-at-pacbell-dot-net]
Sent: 	Thursday, September 18, 1997 6:08 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: RE- Re: what's a tesla coil good for

atech wrote:

> OK, I'll try one more time. Everything I've read about Tesla's Wardencliffe
> power transmission system indicates that there was supposed to be a ball of
> humming mist-like plasma at top of the tower, not a big crackly arc. If this
> is so, why isn't anyone trying to achieve this mist-like (ion acoustic
> resonant?) discharge at the top of their Tesla Coils?

Because that isn't as fun.

Besides, if the top electrode can completely contain the secondary energy,
as was the plan for Wardenclyffe, then the nearby ground currents increase
dramatically and annoy one's neighbors.  I have destroyed many stereos and
fax machines through this mechanism.

Transmitting power through the earth is taboo in this modern, CMOS-laden world.

-GL