[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: STUPID SIMULATIONS

From: 	John H. Couture[SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent: 	Friday, September 19, 1997 6:55 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: STUPID SIMULATIONS

------------------------------------- big snip

---------------------------------------------------- big snip

>Fr. Tom McGahee

  Fr Tom -

  I understand that you have  not had much luck with computer programs that
simulate electronic circuits such as the Tesla coil circuit. The reason for
this is because these programs are based only on theory and have limited use
for Tesla coils. Because of the complex nature of TC operation, a program to
accurately simulate the TC must be based on both theory and on empirical
data from  dozens of real  world coils. A program of this type is capable of
producing outputs that are about 3% to 15% of the real world and will
"closely mimic real world behavior". This can be verified by real world
tests. Keep in mind that computer programs cannot give precise values.

 When properly used the JHCTES Ver 2.3 TC computer program not only can
produce these accuracies but can also keep the TC system in tune when
changes are made and produces a "DARN good model". This is an excellent
teaching tool for students because it allows the student to design many
types of coils without having to build them and then possibly have to make
costly changes. Of course, when a design is decided upon the coil would then
have to be built and tested to learn about the finer points of TC
adjustments and operation.

  Even advanced coilers can benefit from the program. For example, what
happens to the K factor and other 33 output parameters of the TC when the
secondary coil diameter is changed ?  No coiler can answer these questions
quickly if at all. The JHCTES gives the answers in a fraction of a second.
It tells you what will happen based on data from real coils. It should be
noted that to get accurate results it is a big help if the program user has
some knowledge of TC theory and takes the time to study the program's
operation.

  The JHCTES program coordinates 46 of the major TC parameters and in
addition keeps the TC system in tune when changes are made. The program is
for classical coils only because magnifiers, tube, solid state, etc, coils
are still in the experimental stage.

  If you would like me to send you a JHCTES printout of a coil you have
built and tested, send me the details of the coil and tests. Note that the
more details the more accurate the results. Also, the inputs musts be
accurate because small inaccuracies in the inputs can lead to large
inaccuracies in the outputs with a program of this type. This is because
when coordinatiog 46 parameters the inaccuracies can add up quickly. The
test data must also be accurate to have the program agree with the tests. It
would also help if the test methods are given. This is especially true of
the operating frequenciy which controls several of the parameters. Do not
worry about the secondary toroid because the computer will determine the
capacitance it is operating at from the other inputs.

  The program has been used by many coilers to design successful coils and I
have received many compliments on its capabilities. It should be noted that
past criticisms were for older program versions and misunderstanding of how
the program works. For example, the program is not restricted to only a few
primary turns and only 400 secondary turns (default values only). In fact,
the only program restrictions are for coils that are not in tune because the
computer does not allow the user to design a TC that is not in tune.

  John Couture