[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

stacked plate capacitor

From: 	Dennis Hoffman[SMTP:hoffman-at-werewolf-dot-net]
Reply To: 	hoffman-at-werewolf-dot-net
Sent: 	Saturday, September 20, 1997 10:21 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	 stacked plate capacitor

> From: Sulaiman Abdullah <sulabd-at-hotmail-dot-com>
> To: hoffman
> Subject: Re: stacked plate capacitor
> Date: Saturday, September 20, 1997 5:29 AM
>
> Hi,
> I'm a beginner at TC work but have a good elec-eng background.
> I'm currently building a flat-plate primary capacitor, I paid quite a
> bit of money for PE sheet as dielectric - to be used in oil.
> During construction I realised the approach you are considering,
> personally I believe that it should be a lot more cost-effective.
> I'm considering using a cheap plastic "grid" which is a green plastic
> fence material (unknown composition but as PE and PP are the cheapest
> and best for dielectric after PTFE should be OK)
> I think that ferrous materials are not good as i) they will rust
> eventually and ii) they will give the capacitor undesirable
> self-inductance.
>
> Like I said I've not tried yet, just a thought.
> bye ... Sulaiman

	Sulaiman,  I was wondering if rusting is really a problem if the plates
are in oil?  I imagine that it could eventually rust if the plates were in
contact with water, but all the water /moisture should stay on the bottom.
I am using 24 gauge galvanized steel so that would also help to protect the
plates over the long haul.  I wasn't aware that ferrous metals could be a
problem.  Thanks for your input,  Mike Hoffman