[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Primary Qs

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Sunday, September 21, 1997 4:54 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Primary Qs

Hi all,
        While my neons were alive, I tested two resonators in two
different types of primary (helix and saucer). The resonators differed
mostly in that one resonated at 420kHz and the other at 280kHz with
identical toploads. Cselfs were much the same. I used a 12kV 60mA
paralleled with a 12kV 30mA. I got far better results in both types
of primary with the lower frequency resonator. The only reason I can
attribute that to is the higher primary Q I got with lower frequency
running. The primary cap was also identical and single shot
measurements showed output voltage to be roughly the same. Both
resonators are wound with large enough wire to discount secondary
losses from the mix. I was getting solid three feet strikes with a
25nF CP primary cap from the low frequency resonator but only about
2-1/2 feet from the higher frequency one.

Malcolm