[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Garage door

From: 	terryf-at-verinet-dot-com[SMTP:terryf-at-verinet-dot-com]
Sent: 	Monday, September 22, 1997 7:58 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Garage door

        A friend of mine has destroyed the electronics in three openers in
less than a year (so far!) despite numerous efforts to disconnect and shield
them. I would either strip out all the vulnerable electronics or remove the
opener while the coil is being operated.  Fortunately, they were still under
warranty :-))
        In general anything electronic should be evacuated from the area of
a Tesla coil.  Electrical outlets, lights, TV cables, etc. can all carry
power back to your electronics and can kill them with ease.  Best to hang
grounded chicken wire up as a shield if this can't be avoided.

        Don't forget to also remove gasoline, saw dust, piles of paper, and
other flammables!  Before operating in a garage you should take a long hard
look around and think through all the bad things that just may happen.  Many
"mad scientists" have burnt their garages down along with half their house.
Garages are good places to work, just take the necessary precautions.

        Always have a safe place to flee if something suddenly goes
seriously to hell.

        Terry